Wednesday, March 9, 2011




It is March Madness time! Certainly the best time of the year for hoops fans and maybe the greatest event of the year period. Time to fill out those brackets, get in your office pools and take a shot in the dark at who the winner will be.




Sorry the blog has been out of commission, this thing called work is an absolute killer! Who thought of requiring it? Speaking of shots in the dark, my prediction is that this year like none other will truly be a tourney of upsets and long shots.




Right now the Big 12 Tourney is just beginning at the Sprint Center in KC, so it is difficult to pick winners in the Big Dance without pairings announced or conference tourneys complete.




Ohio State seems to me to be the overall best team in the country. The Big Ten was a little better this year and the Buckeyes have a legit big guy with several wing players that can fill it up. They play solid D and have been consistent all year long. I think the clear cut top seeds are Ohio State, Kansas, Pittsburgh and Duke. Some have Notre Dame as a 1, but you can attribute that to more love of the Big East than a valid argument.




All of those 4 are certainly beatable. Kansas has lost 2 games so far this season, but even as a loyal KU fan, I have to say we are the least formidable and most inconsistent we have been in the last 3 or 4 years going into the tournament. Duke is tough as usual but lacks a go-to guy and without Kyrie Irving, I can easily see them losing to someone who is on a streak that plays tough defense. Pittsburgh can look really good but sometimes cannot score to save their lives. The Irish have a couple of good offensive players but again, are part of the Big East love affair.




The reason I knock the Big East? All year headlines have been dominated by the Big East and them getting 11 in the tourney. I have seen a good bit this year and see very evenly matched, less than spectacular teams. Time will tell, but Pitt and maybe West Virginia are the teams I see going the furthest from that conference. St. John's the darlings in February, hung on to beat Rutgers of all teams on a horrific call today. I guess that makes Rutgers a world beater??




So who in the heck are the dark horses? It is easy to talk about who won't win. The answer is....I am not sure. Once the pairings are announced I will try to get out predictions. I will predict no top seeds make the Final Four and no 2 seeds either! Here are some that I like so far, prior to my own Bracketology taking place. Maybe not too dark a horse, but I do like Wisconsin some as maybe a 3 or 4 seed. I think Kansas State could be scary if they play as they have of late, much more like last year at maybe an 8 or 9 seed. West Virginia at a 6 or 7 seed will be dangerous. Michigan State if they make the field could come alive. Never underestimate Tom Izzo!




More to come folks! Stay tuned and get ready....the Big Dance is here!




Around the horn......I am worn thin on the Miami Heat. When is LeBron going to actually earn the acclaim as the Chosen One? Do you not have to play in the 4th Quarter to earn that title? Carmelo to the Knicks is big and makes them a factor in the East for sure. Almost time for Golf to get in full swing. Will Tiger rebound this year?? I look forward to hoping that he doesn't while rooting for Phil to keep the ball out of the water. Spring training time....what is the over/under on Royals losses? I have it at 110. Sorry all but an outfield of Melky Cabrera, Jeff Francoeur and Alex Gordon is not going to mark our return to average. Neither is dealing Zack for a bunch of spares! Thanks for reading everyone!!

No comments:

One of the most handsome families ever!

One of the most handsome families ever!
One lucky man!

The other lucky guy

The other lucky guy
Matt and Kim

gettin a vibe....

gettin a vibe....

Me and my buddy

Me and my buddy

Mama and Luke

Mama and Luke
at the Circus

2010 NCAA MW Regional nosebleeders!

2010 NCAA MW Regional nosebleeders!