Saturday, February 5, 2011

Twas the Night Before Super Bowl.....

Here is to the hope for a great game tomorrow!

After all of these years and regardless of favorite teams getting to the game or not, I am still super excited for the big game. It took a bit for me to gather my thoughts and be able to call my shot for the winner. After all you have two teams evenly matched, great defense and great offense. Do you go with the Pack who overcame 15 players on IR this year or the vaunted Steelers who ran the gauntlet of tough teams in the AFC to make it all the way to the Big D. Vegas, who I have mentioned many times as the best way to pick a game, has the Pack as a 3 point favorite. That makes the choice even harder as I cannot understand them as faves. Green Bay is a 6 seed who beat the likes of Philly, Atlanta and Chicago. Pittsburgh on the other hand beat Baltimore and the hated but formidable Jets. I really like Aaron Rodgers as a tough QB and certainly one for the future. Their D is tough with Clay Matthews, Charles Woodson and a great defensive backfield. The Steelers are no slouch on the other side with James Harrison, Lamarr Woodley, and defensive Player of the Year Troy Palamalu.

Speaking of Palamalu and awards, was he really the Defensive POY? I kinda felt that was a lifetime achievement award type of deal. Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers to me were the choices, but Palamalu is still great. Coach of the Year goes Bill Belichick? Another head scratcher as Mike McCarthy of the Packers gets a 6 seed team to the Bowl with 15 key guys out for the year! Unreal how much the NFL loves Belichick and the Pats.

All said and done I cannot pick against Big Ben and the Steelers. I mentioned the D earlier, but expect Big Ben to lead a balanced attack with Rashard Mendenhall and other weapons like Hines Ward, Heath Miller and Mike Wallace all the way to the promised land. Much has been made of their starting Center Maurkice Pouncey being out, but that won't help Green Bay tackle Roethlisberger. He will win his third Super Bowl and soon be mentioned in the same breath as any of the all-time greats.

So there is my shot. Go Steelers and if you want another tip, take the over in the game which I think is 44.5 points. My final score: Pittsburgh 34 Green Bay 24.

Around the Horn: I want to be excited for college hoop, but I have not been able to get deep into it like every other year in my life. What is causing that? It seems to me to be lack of really good teams and matchups. I think my Jayhawks still have potential to be great, but as the season wears on, I feel like they also have a chance to be knocked out by someone like Bradley, Bucknell or UNI! I know everyone is in love with the Big East, and they are definitely the toughest conference top to bottom, but I agree with Jay Bilas who said the top 3 in the Big 12 are better than the top 3 in the Big East. To me this seems like the year that a true underdog wins the whole deal. Ohio State is beatable, Duke is too....certainly Kansas and the big dogs back east are, so watch out...UPSET SPECIALS in this years March Madness are on the way!! One last note on the Jayhawks. Get Tyshawn Taylor to the bench, Bill! Same with Mario Little. Play Reed, Morningstar, Selby, Marcus Morris, Robinson and Reliford. That is your best bet to win! Those other guys are good for poor attitude and turnovers! That is about all folks....come on Spring and thanks for reading everyone!!




No comments:

One of the most handsome families ever!

One of the most handsome families ever!
One lucky man!

The other lucky guy

The other lucky guy
Matt and Kim

gettin a vibe....

gettin a vibe....

Me and my buddy

Me and my buddy

Mama and Luke

Mama and Luke
at the Circus

2010 NCAA MW Regional nosebleeders!

2010 NCAA MW Regional nosebleeders!