Monday, July 19, 2010

FFL Preview 2010 by Ty Blitz Co-Owner!!!

Look out scout-FFB is baaaaack!

Yes folks, here we are in July grinding on our best available lists-you know, the RB, WR, or QB, you want to pick at any point in the draft. Forget about the D’s and Kickers like Matt said. In fairness before I begin my peregrination across the landscape of fantasy football you should know our league allows a third WR instead of a Tight End and, we are in a point per reception league. This explains young Matt’s inclusion of Forte on his picks to click. I don’t think Matt expects Forte to run for 2,000 yds. This projection is based on Forte’s potential for 70 to 80 receptions out of the Bears backfield. In the words of Van the man (on a rare occasion when he is understandable,) “there I go, there I go, there I go.” Van likes to repeat his phrases ala John Lee Hooker. Back to the FFB landscape.

My draft philosophy is to not be stuck in a rut with a formula that governs your pick. Sorry Matt, but the RB’s/Wr’s before QB’s approach has not worked well for us lately. Drafting is situational. If we have the fifth pick and CJ, AP, MJD and Rice have gone do we take DeAngelo or Gore to get an RB (one that shares the rock a lot and the other that is getting long in the tooth and has had injury issues) OR do go with Brees at QB (the leading point producer in FFB last season) or and take Andre Johnson everyone’s number wide receiver? To me the latter two choices are better than a second tier RB! Now if we have pick 1 through 4 I like the RB’s mentioned. After that it gets dicey and it stays that way all through the draft. I disagree with Matt that the KISS method is best. For me drafting in FFB is all about good decision making under time pressure. And I believe good decisions require good information, preparation and the ability to avoid second guessing at all costs. They say to be a great golfer you have to be able to forget the previous shot or hole or round! Same in any activity that requires good decision making. So, however you prepare for the draft you must overcome the tendency to second guess any pick you make but I don’t advise keeping it simple to uncomplicated things. That said, our plan A hasn’t been working so who is to say? I really believe the answer lies somewhere between the extremes. That is, having studied thoroughly and consider as much as possible, gear down and settle on a well thought out plan and keep it as simple as you can.

I recommend putting together lists by rank order of all players and by position based on all the factors you want to use to determine their potential in FFB. Fantasy Football magazines all contain these rankings. Their lists along with a myriad of other factoids both obvious and obscure should guide your selection process. If you are co-owner of a team you need to vet your rankings with your co-owner before the draft and come up with lists on which you agree. This will tell you the best available performer, and in case you are loaded at the position, the best available by other positions.

One of my problems is falling in love with certain players and having an aversion to others. This year I’m already excited about Kevin Kolb for example and I just never have liked Peyton Manning. Does that mean if I’m ready to pick a QB and both are available I’m gonna take Kolb? No. But, I might decide to take an RB rather than QB against my better judgment, to avoid taking Size 8! That may seem crazy to you but it is how I roll.

Part of the excitement of Fantasy Football is from the emotional attachment to your team, just like in real football. But in fantasy you have the added dynamic of creating your team. This generates enormous attachment. And, as Matt said, your interest in how your guys are doing broadens your interest in the NFL. Despite the challenges of sharing in a team ownership I recommend it highly. My greatest enjoyment comes from sharing the total experience of fantasy football with Matt. From drafting, to setting lineups, to following our players performance, to making trades, to visiting with Matt many times each week and during the games, pro football has never been so much fun! So if you haven’t participated in Fantasy Football do it. And, if you have but never as a co-owner, get a team with someone you love. It is a blast!




My top 5’s

QB’s-Brees, Peyton Manning, Rodgers, Brady, Romo

RB’s-C Johnson, AP, MJD, Rice, Gore

WR’s-A Johnson, Fitzgerald, Wayne, Moss, White

D’s-Won’t be able to draft any in the top 5

K’s- “

Breakouts-Breaston, Sims-Walker, M.Ryan, Wells, Cutler

Sleepers-Henne, Knox, Campbell, Gage, Bradshaw

Busts-Slaton, Lynch, Favre, Jacobs, Heyward-Bey

Rookies-Bryant, Clausen, McCluster, Berry, Tate


That’s how it looks from the cheap seats!!!!

No comments:

One of the most handsome families ever!

One of the most handsome families ever!
One lucky man!

The other lucky guy

The other lucky guy
Matt and Kim

gettin a vibe....

gettin a vibe....

Me and my buddy

Me and my buddy

Mama and Luke

Mama and Luke
at the Circus

2010 NCAA MW Regional nosebleeders!

2010 NCAA MW Regional nosebleeders!