Monday, June 21, 2010

The VC MP Showdown at Hidden Valley

Here is the lowdown on the VC/MP Showdown at the Hidden Valley Golf course today. First off, it was 96 in the shade today if that tells you what we were up against!! Definitely a tough test of golf.

To set the stage VC showed up (late) this morning with persimmon sticks circa the Bobby Jones era wearing a K-State Wildcats hat. I have to say that he did swing them nicely and persevered very well in the extreme heat. He certainly produced some SportsCenter-esque shots that included a chip over a bunker on 4 to 6 inches from the cup. He hooked a hooded 5 iron around trees that rolled up nicely on 8 that left him an 18 footer for bird. On 11 he pummeled a 3 iron over water on a par 3 to 10 feet and promptly made birdie! He had another par or two on the back as well.

Those were his highlights folks. Now let me give you the other side. I guess I should have known I was in trouble when on 15 he hit maybe his 6th ball out of bounds and asked me if we were counting penalty strokes!!! Trouble I thought!!! I also couldn't help but notice throughout the day despite telling VC that we play everything down, his ball always mysteriously was sitting up and looking pretty just before every shot. Sometime later I discovered what he called "Pomona" rules which apparently means that you can basically tee up any shot anywhere! His low light was a meltdown on 18 which included 6 shots to the green after hitting his second ball out of the middle of the fairway. Needless to say, not many words spoken for a bit after that!

My day was basically my typical. Hit it OK on the front, shot my customary 50 on the back and didn't do anything too terribly bad or good for that matter. I did however play everything where it lied, including one out of the waist high fescue that caused VC to mutter..."kick it out"....and I now know why. Apparently VC was utilizing a foot wedge all day and not counting the stroke!!! Oh I did hit a 9 iron with the chips down on 18 from 115 to within 6 feet but missed the birdie putt!

When all was said and done I won by as many years as VC is my senior, 10 big ones baby! 97 and 107 respectively!!! Certainly not great scoring but a great time!!


I must also add that VC, despite the loss today, pegged an international player winning the US Open AND the Lakers winning it all, touche VC....well played!!

No comments:

One of the most handsome families ever!

One of the most handsome families ever!
One lucky man!

The other lucky guy

The other lucky guy
Matt and Kim

gettin a vibe....

gettin a vibe....

Me and my buddy

Me and my buddy

Mama and Luke

Mama and Luke
at the Circus

2010 NCAA MW Regional nosebleeders!

2010 NCAA MW Regional nosebleeders!