Tuesday, December 28, 2010

What a Year! by MP


Wow! What a year 2010 has been. It is hard to believe it is almost over. Where does time go? What a year in the world of sports too.

The Saints won the bowl, Tiger melted down personally and professionally, the Royals were terrible again, the Lakers and Celts were epic, the Dukies won but robbed Butler, The NCAA pulled about 75 unbelievably dumb moves in college football, and the Chiefs.....YEAH THE CHIEFS....are hosting a playoff game!

So we can talk about some of my terrible predictions, I own them and cannot hide. But boy, am I glad I was wrong about the Chiefs and picking them to go 8-8!

For the record here are the highlights and low-lights of my prognostication this year: I was not even in the neighborhood in the Golf major winner category. VC cleaned my clock. I also picked the Celtics, but truth be told, that was a heart pick not one from the head. I didn't attempt baseball, but who had the Giants? I woefully was wrong about Texas Tech football winning the Big 12 South....and of course the Chiefs going 8-8, taking a few shots at Matt Cassel along the way. I did tell you that New Orleans, Chicago, The NY Giants, Atlanta Falcons and Seattle Seahawks were in the playoff pic in the NFC, and they are! I also said OU and Texas would be down in football, also correct. I believe I also told you how the Kansas Jayhawks will be superior to the Wildcats from Manhattan in hoops, but hey that is almost cherry-picking! The Chiefs however, are a different story....

What an unbelievable year for the Chiefs. Hats off to Todd Haley and all the Chiefs turning around a 4 win season last year to sit right now at 10-5, with a great chance at an 11-5 season after hosting the Raiders this coming Sunday. It looks like we will host the New York Jets in the first round of the playoffs, and that...is a winnable game! I cannot stand the loud mouth, HBO Hard Knocks, over-rated, over-hyped Jets. Mark Sanchez is terrible and of the options in the first round the Jets would be most favorable. The Chiefs, with a few bad losses aside, have played tough, mistake free football and are finally getting the notoriety they deserve! Hey, sorry about the Cassel shots...I still think the jury is out. He is a game manager and has done that well the entire year. We all saw what the alternative was with Brodie Croyle against the Chargers. I hope you are all as excited as I am for what is ahead....and this season is the tip of the iceberg!

Around the horn: I previously referenced the NCAA. How in the world do you deem it bad enough to suspend the Ohio State guys for 5 next year...but let them play in the Bowl game? Huh? Much like the "Scam" Newton deal....what a mess! Speaking of predictions....I like the Hogs over the Buckeyes in the Sugar and I like Auburn over Oregon in the BCS Championship game. NFL wise...I am nervous, but will stick with my original Super Bowl matchup...the Battle of the Birds...Falcons vs. Ravens! It is hoop season and the Jayhawks need some toughening up....they play to the level of every opponent, and haven't played anyone really tough yet. I watch them and worry about their lack of size. Seems to me they have to run a lot more if they are relying on the Morris twins in the post. Congrats to Dwyane Bowe, Jamaal Charles and Brian Waters for pro-bowl invites....and to COACH TODD HALEY SOON TO BE NFL COACH OF THE YEAR!!!

That is it for now....Go Chiefs....Go 'Hawks...and Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Year!!!!

No comments:

One of the most handsome families ever!

One of the most handsome families ever!
One lucky man!

The other lucky guy

The other lucky guy
Matt and Kim

gettin a vibe....

gettin a vibe....

Me and my buddy

Me and my buddy

Mama and Luke

Mama and Luke
at the Circus

2010 NCAA MW Regional nosebleeders!

2010 NCAA MW Regional nosebleeders!