Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Top 10 Reasons VC is Thankful!


Move over Letterman, I got the Top 10 List today!

That's right, CBS. I know you've been waiting for this so the heck with shooting any more bull. Let's get right to it!

Van Cleave's Top 10 Reasons why I'm Thankful in 2010!

10. Basketball. Except for maybe Tobacco Road, there may not be a better spot for some great college basketball than the I-70 Corridor that includes Manhattan, Lawrence and Columbia. All three teams are in the top 15, all three figure to secure spots in the NCAA Tournament and could make a deep run in the tourney.

How cool would that be if the Wildcats, Jayhawks and Tigers end up in a three-way tie for the Big XII championship! It's doubtful, but possible, since each has four games against the other two. I say the regular-season champ goes 12-4, that's right four losses! That's why a tri-championship is possible.

9. I'm not a referee! Yep, I'm thankful I don't don the zebra outfits except one day a year when I help ref a 4-5-6 grade boys tournament for our Masonic Lodge fund-raiser each February. The pressures these men and women have of the up-tempo style that is prevalent in basketball or the spread formation in football that leads to a lot of passes...I have a greater respect for them.

8. Social networking. Holy Toledo, just what did we do 10 years ago to communicate? Heck, 5 years ago? But I hafta tell ya, this txt thing is pretty awesome. idk bout u, but i kinda like it! ttyl! haha lol

7. ESPN! I'm sitting here in a quiet house on Thanksgiving Eve, my family is not here, I have an NBA game on TV and I'm flipping it back and forth between the pro and college game that's offered on the ESPN family of networks. Now if we can just put a muzzle on Vitale we'd have it made!

6. Bill Snyder. Say what you want about the 71-year-old man who orchestrated the Miracle in Manhattan Part 1 and Part 2 is a work in progress. The man can coach. He can come up with some of the dangdest gameplans, just ask Texas coach Mack Brown this year. The Wildcats are going bowling, probably the Pinstripe Bowl in Yankee Stadium, but a bowl nonetheless.

5. Gary Pinkel. Some Mizzou fans were ready to run him out of Columbia after Tiger losses to Nebraska and Texas Tech. I'm sorry, MU can go 10-2 with a Border War Showdown win Saturday over Kansas. Win your bowl game, Cotton or Holiday, and that's 11 wins MU fans. That would be more than KU and K-State combined.

4. The Big XII will remain intact. It appeared back in May KU, K-State and Mizzou were being forced off the abandoned ship. Commissioner Dan Beebe didn't allow that to happen and we will proceed with 10 teams. Not sure what it'll be called, I like Big X, but 10 teams remained united.

3. Hail to the Chiefs! Isn't it nice to pick up a newspaper, flip to the sports section, check out the NFL standings and see who's atop the AFC West...the Kansas City Chiefs! I saw a game at Arrowhead back in September with Patterson. The loudness that day against the 49ers reminded me of the Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith-led teams in the 90s.

2. Thanks to you, our readers. Matt and I love sharing our passion which is writing about sports and putting it into words that the true sports fan can relate to. I've said it many times, Matt's forte is at the professional level, mine college and high schools. His strong suit, editorializing and going deep in discussion about the game. Me? I love getting into people's minds and thrive on the human interest side.

And the No. 1 reason why I'm thankful...I'm sure Patterson will agree. It's our wives and family. You seldom hear about them, they are the Lights, Camera, Action that keep us focused. Matt has Kim and 3-year-old boy Luke, who is a spittin image of his old man. Kim keeps Matt at bay, thanks Kim! I've tried all these years but it took a strong-willed woman to step in and take charge. Same thing in our household where Denise has to put up with a lot of 5 a.m. wake-up calls. Throw in 8-year-old triplet girls in Hannah, Hope and Addison the score is always 4-1 in our household.

Yep, we are thankful. My motto here is Celebrating Life Through Sports. Without a great wife and family, that's not possible. Thanks Denise, thanks Kim! You're the best!

Happy Thanksgiving 2010!

No comments:

One of the most handsome families ever!

One of the most handsome families ever!
One lucky man!

The other lucky guy

The other lucky guy
Matt and Kim

gettin a vibe....

gettin a vibe....

Me and my buddy

Me and my buddy

Mama and Luke

Mama and Luke
at the Circus

2010 NCAA MW Regional nosebleeders!

2010 NCAA MW Regional nosebleeders!